Pages

Tuesday 26 January 2016

Ice Inquiry


Last week we made predictions about melting ice. Will the ice melt faster if it is in water than if it is not? Will the ice melt faster if it is in little pieces or if it it one big cube? Our interest in melting ice lead us to a new activity this week. We found some containers in the classroom. We filled them with toys, letters and glitter and then poured water over top. 

We noticed a lot of cool things and had so many questions! Some of the items floated and some sank. Why did that happen?
We decided to put some containers outside to freeze and we put the rest in the freezer. Which will freeze faster? 
There were 2 of each kind of container. We used small and large pie tins and small and large yogurt cups. Which ones will melt faster? Why?

The following pictures show our explorations in creating and melting ice. 
We had a lot of fun! 
Enjoy!
"We put the toys in the buckets and we were putting water in because we had to see which melted faster! We put it in the freezer and outside."-Paisley

"I'm taking a toy out of the bin. I put it in the cup!"- Marcus


"I am going outside to see if it's going to turn into ice." -Serein 


"It was not frozen because it was too warm outside. We put it in the freezer this morning."- Max


"I'm trying to take out one of the toys from the ice."- Yianna
"I found the letter O from the alphabet in the ice!" -George




"I am holding cinq marbles. Un, deux, trois, quatre, cinq! I got one out of the ice by using the bottom of my paintbrush to break it open. That's how you get the toys out so you can play with them again." -Tommy

"I was breaking the ice because there was a little bit of ice left on the toy." -Isaac




"I was trying to get that out of there...of the ice! It was a toy." -Elijah

"I got a marble. I found it in the water." -Chhan

"I am polishing the dinosaur because there was ice on him." -Ehaab



No comments:

Post a Comment