Pages

Tuesday 2 December 2014

Les Couleurs Changent

  
My name is Mlle. Papineau, I am a Concurrent Early Childhood Education Student. I have the privilege of spending one month in Mlle Benneian and Mlle Ouellette's classroom. As I have reached the half way point of my placement, I thought it was fitting to share an update on what we have been working on.
 
  Over the last two weeks we have been following the inquiry of "les couleurs" and how that sometimes, when colours are mixed, they change! This investigation started by painting with ice that had be dyed with food colouring. While they were painting with the ice they started to notice that when one colour touched another colour, a new colour appeared!
 
 
"Look! A new colour, jaune et bleu made vert!" -- Alivia


 
"He made orange! How?!" - Tommy




 
"I am using a glove because then the ice melts faster" -- Katelyn


 

 
"How are different colours being created?" was the question that the curious JK /SKs wanted answered. This curiosity lead us to an experiment. We chose two different coloured ice cubes and combined them in a cup. When the colours were chosen, the children predicted what colours where going to appear when the ice cubes melted.
 



 
"I want to mix vert et jaune" -- Claudia




 
"Vert et jaune are not going to change colour" -- Katelyn  
 
 
Kaden returned to check on the ice many times throughout play time. He said, "I am just checking if my guess is correct, I know it will turn to violet though."
 
"I think it is going to turn brun." - Tommy
 
Our experiment results: 
Rouge + Bleu = Violet
Bleu + Jaune = Vert
Jaune + Vert = Un vert plus léger

 
"


 
"Un light vert et un dark vert." -- Bryce  
 
We now understand when two colours mix a new colour is created, sometimes it is a darker/lighter shade of the original colour and sometimes it makes completely different colour. Our next activity gave the children more hands on experience with this concept.
 
Shaving cream + Paint + Curious Children = fun and endless possibilities for learning

 
"I mélanged bleu et jaune, look now it is vert" -- Serena




 
"This stuff feels weird." -- Gabriel


 
"It's orange now" - Anthony





 
"The blanc makes the vert less bright" -- Katelyn

 
"My dad uses this stuff." -- Lorne

 
Next, during Large Group we read the story "Mix it up!" We then played hot potato with bags of colour. When the music stopped the children were able to mix the colours up and see what new colour formed.
 





 
More fun and learning with mixing colours....
 
 
"The water is becoming darker and darker!" -- Zachary


 
"I took some of this (blue) and then red, and then it made purple." -- Yara




 
Ben started blowing on the water. "Look I made two circles!"

 
 
During free play, Warren mixed the marker colours on Styrofoam from the art centre.
 
It has been very fun exploring colours, we can't wait to see what the next inquiry will be!
 
 
Thank you so much for your time,
 
Mlle Papineau

No comments:

Post a Comment